Monday, August 12, 2013

How to Get a Better Deal on a Moving Truck with a Simple Trick

Go online and search for price estimates for a moving truck with any of the major companies and you're likely going to get wildly different quotes from each company. In fact, half the time, the quote won't even be close to their advertised price. It turns out renting a moving truck isn't as simple as it sounds. To get the best deal you have to work for it a bit.
You've probably seen the ads for cheap moving truck rentals before: "Moves from $19.95!" or "Reserve for just $20!" Inevitably, when you call to actually make that reservation, it turns out the cost is often twice that much, maybe more. When you start looking for a more extended trip, like cross-country, the price differences get even larger.
I ran into this problem myself when I was pricing out moving trucks for a cross country move. U-haul quoted me at $1,400. Penske was about $900, and Budget was considerably cheaper at $600. The price difference was large enough that I decided to figure out why. So, I called U-haul with my Budget quote in hand, and asked for a deal. The U-Haul representative couldn't do it, and it turns out, it was mostly because the dates I'd picked were popular days. The U-Haul representative helpfully explained that it was all about supply, and the dates I'd requested were high traffic weekends. MarketWatch confirms this pricing model:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...